Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I Am Thankful

Pumpkin whoopie pies, ready for Thanksgiving.
I am grateful for the big things:  a good, good husband of 32 years in whose company there is still mutual hum and buzz and easy goofiness; two smart, deeply beautiful daughters who care to make the world a better place and make me inexpressibly wonderful meals; my sister and her family -- my best friends, now neighbors; kind, interesting friends who bring out the kid and tolerate the crank in me; a job I very nearly love, but more so the sabbatical from it; the voice and desire to speak for those with less to be grateful for; the gifts, from my parents, of creativity, intelligence and resilience; the gifts, left at my door in a wicker basket, of optimism and engagement. 


But the big things come and go: I have a tiff with my husband, a friend moves away, the job market blows, my voice is not heard. Then and always, I am thankful for a good cup of coffee and the morning paper; the poetry of the seasons; a smile from a stranger as we overhear the same funny kid; my breath as I walk the streets of this theater called New York City; the breeze over the river or rustling the trees when I've had enough of the circus; the pleasure in giving someone a hand, a seat, a shoulder; the world’s mundane but constant, breathtaking abundance. 


Happy Thanksgiving.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock, lady. And I am grateful for you in my life.

Michele said...

aLove what you wrote..and I am thankful to have you again in my life!!!
Michele

Anonymous said...

those look like the best things ever. i feel like you must have made them with me in mind. obviously everything is about me. i am thankful that everyone will be eating those without me. not. -Nikki

JGiardina said...

i will reprise them for alyssa milano's birthday (which is what we'll be celebrating when you come in on not-xmas). what do you say to gingerbread whoopie pies with lemon cream filling, though, instead?

Anonymous said...

i say that i think i'll be able to stomach those. -Nikki