Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Farewell to Colleagues

I am thrilled and awed that I've been granted a study sabbatical by the NYC Department of Education for the 2010-2011 school year! I'm also just a bit teary, nostalgic, and concerned about how my absence will affect my school.  

As I wrapped things up at work before summer vacation, I included this farewell and itinerary in my weekly message to the faculty.  

As most of you have heard, I will be on sabbatical next year.  Since the “Literacy Coach Message” has been a lesson plan of sorts for me, holding me to a promised weekly agenda, I hope you’ll indulge my using it for that purpose for my year to come.  I will be studying Teaching English as a Second Language, with depth and breadth and great interest, since it is an area of such social and educational importance to us all in this shrinking, global village.  I plan to study beautiful Italian and spend some time in Rome.  I hope to refine and deepen my spiritual and meditational practices, the better to call them into service when the going gets more real-life again.  I will buy and ride a new road bike, but I will also get my driver’s license!  It will, of course, be a year of rest, as the root of the word “sabbatical” invites, which I will revel in while visiting my daughters, brunching with neglected friends, taking (better) care of my home and husband.  I am taking you all, and everything I have learned from you, with me.  I hope I leave some small part of myself with you.  I will bring back gifts on my return, I am sure:  more depth and beauty, a better understanding of language as life’s lens, and a rested spirit and drive.  Please have a wonderful summer, and a rich, joyful school year.  I will call and visit and miss you all, and hope you will be in touch.  With love,
UFT TC/Literacy Coach Joan Lesko Giardina, jleskog@schools.nyc.gov, (646) 283-4370

My boss pointed out that, given the literary ability she thinks I ought to nurture, she was chagrinned I'd omitted writing from the plan.  So consider this blog a correction to that oversight and thanks, boss!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Joan,
It was great to see you today to have lunch & talk. As I said, I wish you could take me in your suitcase to Rome! I think taking the sabbatical is a wonderful idea - you are going to feel so rejuvenated and refreshed, with a new perspective on everything when it's over. The ELL degree is a smart choice, too, & I know you're going to love the work. Let's "do lunch" again before the summer is over. Meanwhile, enjoy your vacation (& try to stay cool this weekend!!!).
Love,
Olive :-)

Morningstar said...

Joan, you are a marvelous writer; something that I've shared with you before. Enjoy your year of 'rest'. I know that you will emerge a stronger and more rejuvenated being. You will enjoy your time in Rome. I spent a few hours there, in 2004 while on a Mediterranean Cruise. Looking forward to reading your posts.