Saturday, July 3, 2010

Not the "Me" Show...

And then there are people like my friend and colleague Tara, who is heading to Ghana for her summer vacation to teach and work and live in an orphanage.  Or Jessica, who is moving permanently to the Dominican Republic to teach. Friends like Jamie, who spent his rare free time volunteering in Tanzania.  Couples like the Bassetts, profiled in The Walking Planet  http://www.wakingplanet.com/ordinary-people.html , who've devoted their lives to embodying and fighting for justice, peace and equality.



They make me feel abashed to be so vocally, misguidedly self-absorbed.  More importantly, though, they inspire me, and remind me that there is no self-improvement without putting service to others front and center.  What better way to shrink the relative pettiness of your own beleaguered navel into perspective than by giving a hand to folks or situations of real need?  I'd rather bolster my self-esteem by leaving the world a better place, by standing and being counted, than by endlessly, whinily preening on my therapist's couch (though that can be lovely, too!).


So, great, I will more regularly, volubly and eagerly join the anti-war protests and public education picket lines, with placards and a posse, perhaps.  I'll troll the NYC Volunteer website http://www.newyorkcares.org/  for common pantries and homeless outreach.  But I'm contemplating a service centerpiece, the passion that speaks to my soul, or perhaps makes best use of my strengths.  Writing for a publication of a favorite cause? Working with abused or troubled children?  I will pound the virtual pavement as I let it percolate.  Feel free to make recommendations.


In the meantime, it might make great sense for me to volunteer to teach English as a second language in some informal context. This would support my course of study for the sabbatical, give me a good excuse to use and improve my Spanish, and indulge my passions of language, people, education.


Thanks for listening to me think out loud -- I think I've got a good handle on where to begin.


And to Tara and Jessica, Jamie and the Bassetts, and the many unnamed friends and loved ones who live lives of service to others, thank you.  I am proud and lucky to know you.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


UPDATE:  I am signed up for orientation next week with New York Cares, and will be participating in:









English Conversation Partners at Moriah Older Adult Learning Center

Manhattan :: Washington Heights
Monday, 8/2/2010
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Help older adults with limited English speaking abilities by engaging them in informal conversations, and practicing basic grammar at the Moriah Older Adult Learning Center. No previous teaching, immigration or bi-lingual experience necessary. Commitment is suggested but not required. (1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: 5 volunteers) Key Word = English
Team Leader: Ryan LeMere

So excited!  Better than the bike!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joan..you are such a great writer!! So talented!!! I look forward to your daily blog...Love It!!! XOXO --Helen